7 Last-Minute Tax-Saving Tips
Where did the time go? The year is quickly drawing to a close, but there’s still time to take steps to reduce your 2016 tax liability. Here are seven last-minute tax-saving tips to consider — you just must act by December 31:
- Pay your 2016 property tax bill that’s due in early 2017.
- Pay your fourth quarter state income tax estimated payment that’s due in January 2017.
- Incur deductible medical expenses (if your deductible medical expenses for the year already exceed the applicable floor).
- Pay tuition for academic periods that will begin in January, February or March of 2017 (if it will make you eligible for a tax deduction or credit).
- Donate to your favorite charities.
- Sell investments at a loss to offset capital gains you’ve recognized this year.
- Ask your employer if your bonus can be deferred until January.
Keep in mind, however, that in certain situations these strategies might not make sense. For example, if you’ll be subject to the alternative minimum tax this year or be in a higher tax bracket next year, taking some of these steps could have undesirable results.
To make absolutely sure which of these tips are right for you, and learn whether there are other beneficial last-minute moves you might make, please contact our firm. We can help you maximize your tax savings for 2016.Jake Fedie News